As a mother I want my child to learn and enjoy learning, both in and out of school. However, as a teacher I know how hard it is to get children to complete homework or tasks at home. Many parents have told me "I just can't get them to learn at home." or "I can't get them off the computer/game/Ipad." My answer is always; "make learning fun, they won't even know they are learning".
Here are a few tips to help your child engage in learning without them even knowing...
1. Get into a routine. Children thrive when they have a good structure and routine. Set a time everyday where you spend valuable time with your child, this only needs to be for 5-15 minutes per day. Read them a book, Listen to your child read, help them to complete their homework, help them with their spellings.
2. Count things. Building bricks, toys, sweets, cars, trees, dogs. Turn it into a game, the first one to get to 10 is the winner.
3. Role play. Children can learn lots from play. Social skills, language skills, number skills to name a few.
4. Talk to them. Children learn so much from parents and carers. Tell them about things around them.
5. Buy or download some educational games for their electronic devices.
6. Let them help with the cooking of meals. Children can learn lots through cooking, measurements, numbers, healthy eating, colours, shapes, sizes.
7. Get them outdoors. Learn about nature and their community.